Monday, May 31, 2010

Cleaning my teef

My Sunshade is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5 years old, and she got clean clean teef like this, (Sunshade: I've been rock picking for a living over the past 8 years or so. The wear and tear you see on my bootiful canine are inevitable unfortunately in my line of work.)


I am 1,2,3,3.5 years old, but I no no got clean teef like my Sunshade......


So nice mummy said said lets clean Jaffaman's teef so they look same same as my Sunshade's. She showed me a wittle round thing thing,


I said let me see see what it is ok? (mum: it's a penny.)


Mummy use round thing thing to pull yuckies off Jaffaman's teef, (mum: I use the penny to scrap off the tartar build up.)


See see! Jaffaman got clean clean teefies too like my Sunshade!!!


(mum: Before getting Jaffa, I used to think that raw food keeps a dog's teeth clean because it had little to no carbohydrates. However, I have since learned that it all depends on the individual dog as you can see from the pictures. Sunshade was on a low quality kibble, full of fillers until she was about 2 years old. Her teeth during that time was still pearly white as far as I could remember. She has been on the raw diet since the age of 2, and her teeth have continued to be very clean. I have never had to clean her teeth.

Jaffa on the other hand was fed raw since he was 8 weeks old. He however is not fond of food items that are bigger than his mouth. This means that if I give him a whole chicken thigh/drumstick, he won't eat it unless I cut into bite size pieces. Sunshade would happily chomp down all her raw meaty bones without problem. Jaffa also has a very gentle way of gnawing on bones compared to Sunshade who chews with gusto.

In the end, I still believe the raw food content does keep teeth cleaner than other types of food. However, without proper bone feeding (and chewing/eating as in Jaffa's case), it alone is not enough to keep the teeth clean.)

2 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Your mommy is a great dentist, Jaffa! Your toofies are now as sparkling as Sunshade's are! Who knew that a penny could be so helpful!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Vanessa said...

wow I did not know that was possible, to scrape tartar off with a coin. did your vet recommend this method? i'd love to know more about it becuz my dog is being put under every year for dental cleaning . . .